Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Just Keep Swimming ... and Tagged.

Cooper let me out of the house (wahoo) and so I went really wild and snuck over to my parents' house to use their internet and blog to my heart's content. Meri is really sick and Jenelle has fever envy so let's just say today was a little bit nuts. I called Coop at one point just so he could hear the lovely harmonizing our girls were doing as they cried. Jenelle stopped when I put the phone close to her, but I poked her and she started up again. Oh oh, and my favorite quote of the day happened while we were still on the phone. Jenelle pointed at Meredith and yelled, "No! Top crying! Is my turn [to cry]!" That was funny. A few hours later, not so much, but I did get to watch Finding Nemo, which was exciting. Of course they were both insisting on being held at the same time, which would work fine (my lap is plenty large), if Meri didn't keep stealing Jell's binky and pulling her hair. I'm gonna give her the benefit of the doubt and say she was doing it out of curiosity. Yeah, I am that naive, by choice.

Anyway, like a week ago now, I was tagged. Don't totally know what that means, nor does the person who tagged me, but we figure I should answer all the questions she did (although I've seen some people list 7 interesting things about themselves when they were tagged, I don't think I have that many so I'll answer the questions instead). Here goes:


1) Where did you meet your husband?
The better question is when. Let's just say, we looked like this:















2)What was the first thing you said?
Ha, um, probably something like "don't cut in line," or "I'm in love with your friend, Laura Blake." We do have a letter I wrote him in 3rd grade, but if you're thinking it was mushy, you should know, it was a class assignment.

3)Where was your first date?
That would totally depend on your definition of a date. Was it in any of the hundreds of times we hung out in high school? Any of the double dates we went on in high school - oh wait, we were never each other's date. Pre-mission when he wanted to date and I didn't want to deal with sending off another missionary so we just hung out awkwardly wanting to be more than friends? Or three days after I got home from my mission when he held my hand while we watched Pirates of the Caribbean? Three days! Totally freaked me out! Oh, and if he comes out with some story of me giving him all the signs that I wanted him to, don't believe a word of it. I didn't know what signs were . I was just trying to speak English and sleep in a room by myself.

4)Where was your first kiss?
In front of my apartment door a couple of weeks later. After he kissed me, he laughed out loud and said, "I can't believe I finally did that!"

5)Did you have a long or short courtship/engagement?
How do you mean that? I know that when we started talking about getting married and I was freaking out about how quickly it was all happening, Coop, Mr. Smooth Talker, pointed out that our "relationship" was 20 years in the making. Now he likes to tell people we dated for 2 weeks, just to embarrass me with his lies. The truth would be somewhere in the middle.

6)Where did you get engaged?
Up a mountain hike in Utah, past the rattlesnake, a few feet from the edge of a huge rock cliff. (I've been trying to upload a picture, with no success. If you want to look though, his friends were hiding nearby, snapping shots, which are in an old album that you can connect to through the link at the right.) I knew it was coming because, bless his heart, he can't lie worth a darn - whatever that means.

7)Where did you get married?
Portland, Oregon temple

8)How did the reception go?
Thanks to lots of hard work from my mom, it was fantastic. Really beautiful. Although, I have no clue why I spent so much time stressing over things like making sure the silverware looked good with the plates - as if I saw any of it or got to eat anything anyway! We tried to ditch the line idea (since we were standing directly in the sun and my dress had been laced up WAY too tight), but they just followed us. Oh, and the bellhop at our hotel stole the food we'd snagged from the reception, but you know, who really cares about any of that on their wedding day???

9)The honeymoon?
We spent it in a little Oregon coast town - Manzanita, in the vacation home owned by my in-law's boss. Coop's parents went to the beach too and brought us out to dinner one night, which was a little weird to me, but other than that it rained the whole week, and we didn't care.

10)Whose turn is it next?
Lyndsey, have you been tagged yet?




6 comments:

Cooper said...

For the record:

1) I don't know how I didn't fall in love with her sooner. She was hot then too.

2) I was the one in love with Laura Blake, not her. And you could totally feel the love in her letter through the handwriting.

3) Let's take a vote then, shall we? Imagine you're a guy, and you're sitting very closely next to a potentially "special" someone on a couch, and that person has her hands folded on her lap. After about a half an hour, that person unfolds her hands and lays them at her sides, palms up. Then she leaves them there for about 15 minutes while you decide what to do. Fresh off the mission or not, c'mon. You gotta be kidding me.

I did let her sleep in a room by herself though.

4) C'mon, who hasn't laughed when they're too overcome with joy to do anything else?

5) Sticks and stones, love. We officially dated for two weeks before deciding that we wanted to get married. How could it take longer? Were we going to have a getting to know you period? It was just the right amount of time.

6) Man, I'm smooth.

7) Indeed.

8) It was ridiculous. Wherever we went a line formed directly in front of us. Still happens, but the line is two people and they're really, really short.

9) Why wouldn't we care if it rained hard all week? We're true Oregonians, that's why! Jeez, what were YOU thinking?

*I love my wife.

Anonymous said...

Several things...first, I love how you spend the free time you have away from kids, house work, etc. Blogging. Also, the pictures of mini Cooper and Alisha are adorable (mini cooper...haha, I'm so funny) And last, Cooper explaining himself is pretty funny too!!

Emily said...

I'm sorry to hear that your kids weren't feeling well yesterday. Jason's been sick off and on since Conference with one thing after another--stomach flu (twice), two ear infections, other various colds that make him seem like he has the stomach flu, although it's clearly different somehow...in fact, he's puked on me the last two nights. It's becoming part of the bedtime routine: bath, bottle, puke on mom, change clothes, bottle, puke on dad, change clothes, finally go to sleep (for a few hours before he's up again). Needless to say, the nerves are just a smidge frazzled! We can totally empathize! Good luck!

Hannah said...

Love the pictures of you guys when you were little! AND I love the "retorts" from cooper. Thanks for the stories!

Anonymous said...

I still think it's funny that I have pictures with Cooper in kindergarten and I can't even remember him back then.
Loved the, "I can't believe I just did that!"

Jon insists that I "attacked" him when we had our first kiss. So funny too . . . because I was holding out . . . playing "hard to get". So much for that. One little peck from him - and it was all over. . . he didn't stand a chance. But like I said . . . I made him work for it . . . it took 5 whole weeks! Another 6 or so and we were engaged. So much for playing hard to get.

Raina said...

My favorite is the picture of you guys! And, I love the stories of how people fall in love. I think yours is the cutest because it started so long ago! Many more years to come. Happy Birthday Cooper!