Tuesday, February 05, 2008

New paintings, no sleep

So I promised I'd post pics of what I'd be painting. I haven't taken good pictures yet, so the colors are pretty washed out and not good quality, but you can get a general idea. This first three are thanks to Raina's recent Europe trip. This one I like:













This one I did three times and am still not super happy with:










This one I've since finished (during last night's Blazer game - which really didn't help stress levels any), but am not at all happy with:













This one comes from my mother-in-law's recent Europe trip. Hey, it's a great thing that people I know travel! Parts are okay, overall it just seems so-so to me, but on the plus side that means I don't hate it:













In this one, the background has more of a green color in real life. Sometimes I really like it, sometimes I don't. And most of the time, I just really love painting flowers, but am scared of ending up as "one of those female painters," who only paint flowers or flowery, feel-good subjects. I think it might just be a little bit of the arrogance the art department always shoved down our throats about Thomas Kinkade being the root of all evil in this world, and I'm not really planning on going down in history or anything, but at the same time ... I don't know. Anyway:













And this one has a lot more of a blue-purple background then you can see:












And if you're wondering, I only get to paint at night when the girls go to bed. So I don't sleep anymore. Hence I've been sick for eternity. And just maybe, this is how Cooper found us when he got home from work last night:










Yes, I was sleeping in Jenelle's bed. In my defense, everybody is clothed and pretty happy, nobody's crying, causing harm to body or house, and the rest of the house was at least picked up. Tee hee.

8 comments:

Lyndsey said...

I don't know how you have the patience for the whole painting thing. I knit and if you follow the pattern it turns out the way that it is supposed to. I never understood how you did it. Amazing?!?! I sat here LOL about the last pic. I try to do that all the time in the mornings but I always end up with Tommy trying to sit on my head.

Raina said...

Wow! You are FAST and AMAZING! I think every one of those is perfect. I think you are too hard on yourself. (We all can do that from time to time). I can see why the galleries want you.
Also... I love the last photo too. Why is it that there beds are more cozy than our own? I love crawling in bed with Trenton, although I know he hates it. :D

Jen said...

Alisha, get some rest. You are way too hard on yourself. And, you are a true artist. I am so impressed by your talent and your energy to develop it! I wish I had your drive. I love them all. I am no art critic, but I think they are great. And, I love flowers. You do them well.

Janelle. said...

First of all, I am loving the paintings. Beautiful! And Second, we are comeing to see you guys next weekend!!! Crazy! We can't wait!

Phoebe said...

The second one is my favorite. Funny how everyone sees a painting differently.

Hannah said...

Alisha you're amazing! I can't believe you are doing all of this after your girls go to bed. I LOVE that you fell asleep in Jenelle's bed :).

The paintings look wonderful. It's true that we are our own worst critics!

Anonymous said...

cute - paintings are great - don't forget to take some time to recharge!

lauriemcmurt said...

Alisha I love the artwork. I went onto your website the other day and absolutely loved the red flower with the yellow background. You do some awesome work!!!