Monday, April 28, 2008

"Cherish is a word ..."

Since hearing that a friend of ours suffered a heart attack over the weekend, I have not been able to stop thinking about what happened, and in particular, about how it affects her kids. She is recovering well, which is an absolute miracle, but we didn't know that yesterday, when we taught her 5 year-old son in our Primary class. Unexpectedly, my eyes kept welling up with tears as I looked at him or heard him announce that it's his birthday this week. It was really breaking my heart and made us feel the responsibility of being his teacher so much deeper. And as I couldn't stop thinking about it, I've felt such a need to hold my girls a little longer. Thanks to all the reflecting, I didn't even get mad when they woke up WAY too early, and am so grateful because I pulled them into bed with me instead - one on either side. I think I might have fallen asleep (hard to believe with the crazy loud surround-sound binky breathing going on), and when I opened my eyes, I saw that they were stretching their arms across me to hold hands with each other. I wish I could've pressed pause on that moment (and thus have avoided the tantrums and lack of patience on my part that came later as my sensitivity wore off). I just needed to write to remind myself to really cherish moments like that. I try to tell myself that all the time when I'm frustrated and not handling "situations" as well as I should. I just hope my family never doubts how much I love them.

7 comments:

Cooper said...

We don't doubt anything.

Lyndsey said...

Those moments are what make it all worth it. I love the image of them holding hands over you. So cute!! Love you guys!

Hannah said...

Thank you for the reminder to cherish the simple things. It is so easy to forget how fragile life is. You're a great mom!

Jen said...

I know what you mean about that "pause" button. I have wished for it many times, especially lately in this fun stage our kids are in. It is so true that tradgedy, either our own or others, makes us ponder so much on the blessings that we have. You are such a sweet, patient mother, I'm sure that your family feels blessed to have you each and every day!

Raina said...

I'm with you and Jen on that Pause button. They were holding hands?? That is definitely the moment to pause! I usually start crying about that moment and try to call Emile to share, but he never seems to get it.

Rachel said...

I wish we could take a full experience picture (can't think of a better way to describe it) of moments like that so we can go back to that moment later. I think of that especially when I have newborns, how I wish I could come back and hold them again when that child is all grown up - or even just a couple months later!

And to answer your question - I sometimes give my kids sippy cups of water in bed so they can get their own drinks without bothering me!

shaun said...

Alisha, I like your post. There, are you happy, Cooper?

P.S. Alisha I do really like your post. Cooper said he wouldn't pass the message on to you unless I posted a comment so I posted one.