Monday, June 09, 2008

A Fun-Filled Weekend All Around

Cooper wins the brave daddy award for the year. He decided to take BOTH girls with him on the Daddy-Daughter camp-out! I thought he might be a little crazy. Course he might have been trying to prove something - since I always tease him for ending his scout career basically in cub scouts and for never having gone camping as a kid (He got the Hawaii type vacations). Neither of us would have been disappointed in the effort though if he'd ended up coming home in the middle of the night - but he stuck it out! The girls apparently thought the tent was their personal playhouse:
He said that as he tried to get them to sleep (for hours), they would be almost there, then jump up and run around the tent laughing. Now that wouldn't get frustrating after awhile!
Yet here they look so peaceful, cooperative, and contained.
And cute too!
But they did come back early, because we then had to head out to Salishan for the artist's reception (open house) at the gallery. It was finally here! This is actually the first time I've seen my work up on the walls, so that was pretty neat - my name was even up on the wall for all to see. (Blast, I just deleted a photo - I hate it when that happens!!! Oh well, there's still more than anyone's probably interested in seeing anyway)
So when we first got there, I was just standing there looking - a bit overwhelmed to finally be there. It was just so cool! Kevin, one of the managers (I think?), came over and asked what I thought. I was like, "It's so fun to see it all up. I love it." He sat there smiling at me and asked what I thought again. A bit awkwardly I was all, "It's really exciting." Then he asked again and I had the uneasy feeling I was totally missing something. When I asked what he meant he said, "What do you think about the fact that three of them have already sold?" Ah! So apparently these red dots mean something:
He totally made fun of me, saying, "what artist doesn't know what a red dot means?" That would be me - first timer alert. My mother-in-law even knew. While there, a couple bought another one, bringing the red dot total to four. Turns out, I really like red dots.
So now, by selling four, we have probably broke even for the cost of framing them all! Now that makes it sound a little less exciting, but it was a really, really fun day. Just kinda crazy seeing it all up! Tons of my family kept wandering in and out of the gallery, and the girls were even pretty good (thanks to the toy shop around the corner).
Then after a few hours of playing at being a professional artist, we hit the beach! I know my dear friends in S. Cal will laugh at our big coats in June at the beach, but honestly, we couldn't have asked for a more perfect day. Look at that sky! It was gorgeous, and just right.
Meri wasn't too sure about the sand. Deja vu to Jenelle at that age. Why are my kids so weird? Mama, there's sand on me!
So I spent most of the time dusting her off. And we had to leave her socks on - she just couldn't handle the feeling between her toes. Seriously, weird kids.
But Jenelle, having grown out of her fear of sand, loved every minute!
What a great weekend! Thanks for all the support!

11 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Ok yea I am laughing at you guys all bundled up but at the same time I have been nursing a sunburn since Friday so maybe your way is better. I put sunscreen on the kids but then forgot about myself. Ridiculous.

How great is the Art Gallery stuff!!! All those ridiculous art projects paying off. Awesome. So exciting to have sold so many!! Was that the first day?

Ok last thing is Cooper your insane. Matt thought about taking Tommy on the father son and decided to wait one more year. Maybe I can convince him to take both kids next year!!

Anna-Kare said...

Congratulations on the successful show (and sales)! Sure wish I was close enough to come see for myself.

Raina said...

Hey.. congrats on the sales!!! that is FANTASTIC!!! And, I think those paintings look familiar. Must have been a good photographer who took those for you to paint from :D
Congrats!!!

Hannah said...

It must feel so awesome to sell your paintings! It's one thing to have people tell you they look great, and it's another to think that someone wants your picture up in their home, and is willing to pay for it. So cool!! Way to go!

I'm impressed with Cooper's braveness in taking both of the girls to the campout. What did you do without all of them?!? Freedom!

Alisha B. Whitman said...

Lynds ~ it had all been up since the 1st so not quite the first day, but here's hoping for the rest of the month! Raina ~ my great photographer needs more credit, 3 of the 4 paintings sold came from her photos! Hannah ~ sadly I spent the evening at my sister's high school graduation. Love to be supportive, but not really what I had in mind for my first night alone in 3 years!

Jen said...

Congratulations! I wish I could have gone, but was out of town. Yay for selling them.

Bobbi said...

That was awesome that Cooper went camping with his girls, camping of all things is very brave!! I think my girls would have wanted to come home after only an hour!!! But I don't know if I could have handled it either!! Only because Brad has been so busy these last couple of years the girls are just used to me! Anyways I loved seeing your name on the wall--how awesome is that that you get to be a professional artist with art at a gallery and a stay at home mom too!! The best of both worlds I hope!! I also couldn't help but love the BoBo story! Oh, the tender mercies of our lives!!

Kristen said...

That is just so cool Alisha, to see your artwork up, that must have felt like a million dollars! Yeah for red dots!!! You have such a great talent, I hope there are many more shows to come..and lots more red dots too!!

Lisa said...

Hey, I grew up in the northwest, and have very fond memories of going to the beach, even though it wasn't always hot even in the summer. But there are lots of things you can do on the Oregon beach that you can't do at SC beaches (build campfires, explore tide pools, go for hikes, etc....)

But more importantly, CONGRATULATIONS on the gallery and selling 4 paintings! I'm so proud of you!

Jim said...

Yahoo for Red Dots!! Congratulations on being a professional, selling, money-making, talented, totally awesome artist!!! I am so excited for you! Good luck with the rest of the month.

And Cooper - You Rock!

Anonymous said...

So awesome! Yay Alisha! You inspire me!!!! And J is getting so tall! You all look great.

PS - Way to go Coop with camping! What a man - taking two girls all by your lonesome!!! Sooooooo brave! Hope you had a ton of fun! Alisha - what did you do with the time to yourself?