Friday, May 16, 2008

And he's out of the doghouse!



Good work hun! They make me smile every time I see them - I'm such a girl! And they smell so much nicer than what I usually am smelling around here :) Love you!

On a less cheery note, the girls and I just had the most terrible morning! We got this great trailor thing for Christmas (pictured here, back when we got it and couldn't wait for good weather to use it). It is fantastic - so much fun, I absolutely love it. And, as long as I supply them with enough snacks to fight over, they love it too. For some reason I've always loved bike riding, I think the wind in my face clears my head. I used to jump on my bike for a quick spin around campus to take cramming break right before taking tests in college. Weird, I know. Anyway, it has always worked great for us, until today. Turning out of the post office parking lot, trying to go onto the sidewalk and be safer, it hit the edge of a curb and tipped! They were buckled in, but Meri ended up on top of Jenelle, Jelly hit her head on the ground (there is already a terrible huge purple bump - add it to the list), and the whole thing toppled into the street. They went nuts - the poor dears were terrified! I couldn't get them to stop screaming for like 10 minutes as I hugged and tried to kiss it all away on the sidewalk. And you know what?! Not one single person came to see if we were okay. Honestly that just makes me want to go kick something, or better yet, pop all their tires. There were two cars pulling into the post office when it happened, so they watched the whole ordeal, and as soon as I got the cart righted, they just pulled into the parking lot and went about their business. I am totally apalled! Not only am I ready to sell the darn thing, because let me tell you, they girls are totally tramautized - Meri cries every time I went over a bump and Jenelle started screaming to slow down every time I got a tiny bit of speed when we rode home from my parents' hours later. The poor babies! Breaks my heart. Oh and before we even got back in it, Jenelle made me promise not to let her fall over and get more owies again. I'm a terrible mother. And all those stinkin people that were at the post office are not nice people.

Oh and while I'm complaining about not nice people, while we were at Home Depot the other day, some lady walked right by us with this monster-big dog. Granted, my daughter is unreasonably, unjustifiably, and un-calm-downable scared of dogs. Drives us nuts. She totally loses all semblance of sanity whenever one comes near. Actually, sometimes she loses it because "there must be a dog." (no clue) She's nuts. But why exactly is it okay for people to bring their dogs into Home Depot anyway? And this was a rather large dog and Jell didn't see it until she turned around and it's snout was blocking the sun and drooling in her face. Slight exaggeration ... but only slight. She screamed so loud that everyone in the vicinity probably has hearing damage - Man, she can be high pitched! The lady visibly jerked but didn't stop walking at all or say anything to us or Jenelle. Instead, as she saunters on, she says to her dog, "It's okay now, that scared me too," and then looks back at us with a dirty look. I sure hope the dog wasn't startled. Heaven forbid. I just might go pop her tires too.

Bottom line though is we're all okay, the girls are napping peacefully, air conditioning is wonderful, there are actually nice people in the world, I got all that off my chest and I think I'll go smell my pretty flowers to make me feel better again.

10 comments:

shaun said...

OK, four things: (1) I love riding bikes too and pulling Preston behind me; (2) the people that didn't stop to check on you and the girls are all evil and deserved popped tires; (3) the lady at Home Depot doesn't even deserved popped tires, she deserves to have her car blown up with the dog inside (not the dog inside part but for sure the car part); and (4) all the mean people in Portland aren't enticing us to move there.

Lyndsey said...

Ok I know that this is not funny and that you guys have had a rough day. I am so glad that everyone is ok!!!! But I have to admit that I am laughing really hard and I just read it out loud to Matt. Maybe this will be one of those things that you find funny later. I feel like poping peoples tires on a regular basis by the way. Love you lots and lots and once again just because I am laughing doesn't mean that I am not super happy that you are all ok.

Mandy said...

Whoa there! We love our bike trailer too, and I have to confess I am a little neurotic about the tipping thing. It has never happened to us, but I am really nervous about it. I make my kids wear helmets in there (it might even be a law, I can't remember) and that makes me feel a little better. It does increase the whining, though.
I hope tomorrow is better, I'm glad you girls have flowers over there to soothe your souls!

Hannah said...

Oh my gosh! I can't believe that no one stopped to help you, or even ask if you needed help! Are people so self-absorbed that they think what they are doing is more important than giving time to a mother with two hurt kids? I'm so sorry!

Erica would have had the same reaction to the dog in Home depot. I can't believe the woman acted like Jenelle was the scary one! My goodness! Dogs are NOT people!

Rest assured, you are a great mother, and I'm sure your kids will get past their trauma!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe the heartless people in this world sometimes! Who just acts like nothing happened when they see a bike trailer tip over with 2 kids inside?! Seriously...and the lady with the dog...I can't even think of words. I'm feeling annoyed...and it's Sunday! I better stop thinking about this...I hope you have a better week!!

Raina said...

That flipping cart story is a little crazy! It makes me think twice about getting one... I've always thought they would be kinda cool. And... about the dog thing, that lady sounds a little crazy. I'm a dog lover, and I want to kick mine where it counts when he gets too aggressive and freaky! (and he's the size of a cat) I can't imagine what planet she is from.

Unknown said...

So funny, Alisha! You go pop some tires to feel better!!! Only a misdemeanor right? Made me seriously laugh so hard!

Rachel said...

Why are people so self absorbed? What if your kids had been seriously hurt? Just because you got the thing righted doesn't mean you didn't need assistance getting to a doctor or something! How hard would it have been to say "Is everything okay?" Seriously, rude!

And it is seriously NOT okay to take pets into stores! I take our brand new puppy to David's baseball games, which are outside at a park, and I even feel a little guilty about that! I would NEVER take her into a store! What is wrong with people?

Jen said...

I'm sorry about your rough outing. I have had many. And, while I wish people would stop and help, I'm also mortified that they might actually do it. For the record, people are generally VERY nice here in Portland, much nicer than the place I previously lived, and I won't name any state names. Also, the Home Depot thing drives me nuts because they are dog lovers and kid haters there, I am convinced. They are always harping me about my kids in my cart and yet dogs are practically running the place! Man, I wish I had some flowers to smell!

Alisha B. Whitman said...

jen - amen! the home depot people don't let us go two feet without running over because jenelle isn't sitting down all the way, or she's lying under the cart, or holding on to the side or sitting on a pile of boxes or who knows what. Drives us nuts!