Thursday, May 22, 2008

A child's faith and firsts

One of those moments that make being a mom the most rewarding thing in the world happened just now. I was putting Jenelle down for a nap. After fulfilling her requests for a Jesus story and Jesus song, I was walking out the door when she said, "Jesus loves me cause, cause he gave me my mom and dad. And he gave me my Meri and my Nana and Bopa. And Papa and Grammy and Ninnie. And he gave her her friends, and, and Adam too!" I got all teary-eyed. What a sweet heart!

Another thing I love about being a mom is watching them experience things for the first time. Like I just taught her to make a butterfly with her hands. She had that Christmas morning look on her face - bordering on a maniacal glint in her eyes. The other day I caught her trying to pat her head and rub her tummy while watching herself in the mirror. Thank you Sesame Street. And Meri is loving the warmer weather because now she doesn't have to wear onsies and she can find her own belly button whenever she wants! Endless amusement and outbursts of joy! Sorry, I diverge and wax all sentimental because of her cute little testimony.
My reason for bringing this up was cause I've been dying to include photos of me taking Jenelle to the movie theater for the first time. I know she's so young that the idea of taking her is just silly, but sometimes I get a little too excited to bring her to things for the first time! I just can't help it! I can't wait! So I took her to see Horton Hears a Who (okay, it was a few weeks ago, but I've been waiting for the pictures from my sister's camera to post). Here we are:
And yes, this is the ugly facade of Tigard Cinemas. First time I've been actually since they painted it flaming orange to go with the pastel mint accents on the stone walls. I've been boycotting the idiotic idea for years. I should give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the paint was donated by the blind or something. Jenelle didn't mind though, or at least she didn't mention it. She loved being there! It must have all seemed so huge to her! And the free bag of popcorn was definitely a plus! Overall she did pretty well. I was worried in one of the first scenes when the elephant is running through the forest - which is apparently terrifying! She grabbed Ninnie's hand (my sister) and covered her eyes! But she got used to everything being so big and only had to leave briefly for water/bathroom two or three times. We probably won't be paying that much to go again until she's older and can see over the back of the chair in front of her, but you know, she thought she was pretty cool and mom got to indulge herself at the same time! Everyone wins (except perhaps dad, who was at work, and Meri, who was napping)!

8 comments:

Lyndsey said...

So cute!!! We took Tommy to the dollar theater to see Alvin and the Chipmuncks. It was entertaining for him for about an hour so I actually have no idea how the movie ends. I think he would do much better with something animated. I don't know he asked to watch harry potter and since we are all sick I put it on this morning. I did have to fast forward through the scary parts on principal and since he was standing on the chair with his mouth wide open!!! He does love the Hogwarts express though, being that it is a train and everything

Jen said...

That is sweet. And it kills me that she is talking well enough to say all that and even more that she comprehends it! Do you realize what an advanced child you have on your hands? Take it from me, since I have TWO her same age and I only understand them 30% of the time! She is so cute! And how fun that you went to the movie! We tried to go, but it had already left the theater! You'll have to go to free summer movies that start soon! Then, you don't feel so bad if they don't see the screen!

Rachel said...

I love stuff like that, too. I love watching them experience things that you know they're going to love. I think I get more excited than they do sometimes! The first time we took the boys to the movies was for Madagascar, and David walked in and just stopped in his tracks for a while. It was super cute.

Anonymous said...

Precious little testimony! I love it. And I get way too excited to take Preston to things too...he never has any idea what we are doing, oh well! Your girls are still cute. Every time I check, they are still adorable. Not like I am expecting them NOT to be..you know what I'm saying!

Mandy said...

Yay, free summer movies, coming right up!

Kristen said...

I love it! I took Isabella to see that same movie for our mommy daughter time, it was the best! YOu have some pretty sweet girls, and a WONDERFUL tribute to them in what you write..I wish I could convey my feelings as well as you do!!

Jim said...

Darn, we just painted our apartment with that same flaming orange/mint green color scheme. Oh well, you will just have to close your eyes next time you visit our place.

Lisa said...

How fun! Glad Jenelle enjoyed the treat of watching a movie on the big screen. I have some friends in the area that go to mommy and me showings where kids are allowed to run around and be noisy during the movie. I'm definitely hopping on that train when the time comes. And I loved your description of the Tigard Cinemas facade! I knew exactly where you were as soon as I saw the picture, and I couldn't agree more.