Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Olympic addict

I LOVE Olympics! I really really do. That said, I have a few complaints. First off, to the IOC: Your new gymnastics scoring sucks. Even your judges don't understand it and take so stinking long to decide on a score. What exactly is wrong with the idea of someone achieving perfection anyway? Shouldn't it at least be our goal?
Second, I've thought about it lots I still have no idea what you were thinking when you chose to have the Olympics in China. I don't have any problem with the individual people, but come on, the Olympics is more about countries. And I do have a problem with their government. Really, don't get me started. I would start with the toxic crap they put in kids toys and would not end anytime soon. Which is part of the reason that I thought Canzano's article in the Oregonian was awesome. You really should read it.
Moving on. Oh wait, what's wrong with the idea of female volleyball players wearing clothes? Okay, now I can move on.
Dear NBC,
You're driving me crazy. I want to watch Olympics while I can still keep my eyes opened. And I want to watch more of it. Last night, you didn't even show us all of the US men's gymnastics (how about, instead of trying to cram too much into too little time, spread it out. I'm home all day!). You keep saying it almost doesn't even matter what country these athletes are from. It's just so great to watch them make their dreams come true. Baloney. USA. I want to see USA. I want USA to win. I may occasionally get suckered into a sad story like of the Korean who fell into the pool last olympics and got dqued when he should've taken home gold(1st time ever for South Korea), but even then, if there's an American in the pool, I'm hoping the Korean gets silver. Plus, if you just show me the Chinese men on the still rings event and keep saying how they're so much more amazing then everyone else in the world, but don't show me anyone else in the world, I'm not super impressed. I don't have anything to compare it to. You aren't letting me understand (and the rings is really just one example among many). And you aren't explaining diddily squat (spelling anyone?). When Raj dismounted off the pommel horse (again, sorry for the spelling, I'm way out of my comfort zone here), you both gasped and immediately said that was at least a .3 deduction. And that's all you said. Honestly, the paumel horse always looks incredibly awkward to me. I have NO idea what he did wrong. Thanks for helping out. Oh, and I must not forget. Please stop lying. Take the LIVE graphic out of the top right corner. When the scores have already been posted on your own website, it is not possible for you to be showing us LIVE coverage. It may be LIVE on the east coast. But we are not on the east coast, are we? How about showing it to US when it is LIVE? That's an idea. Because, again, then you could show more Olympics because you'd have more time! I love it! All right, I think that is all. For now.
GO USA!

4 comments:

Emily said...

I totally agree about your NBC comments! LET US SEE THE USA since we live in the USA after all!! Also, I kind of agree about China, but because of the horrible pollution that these athletes are having to compete in! That city is in such a haze! Seriously, guys! I know it's the result of rapid industrialization and modernization, but they're really going to have to nip that problem in the bud soon if they want to progress much further! Jake went last summer and said that because of pollution, you'd think Beijing was in a rainstorm all the time! I can't even imagine!

Lyndsey said...

All I can say is hilarious!!! You are the best and I love you so much!!!

shaun said...

A-freakin-men!

Lisa said...

I could not agree more!!! I'm exhausted purely because I'm staying up WAY too late watching the danged olympics. But it has been SO worth it on several occasions. Men's 4x100 Free relay? Most exhilarating moment in sports, ever. But I have one more complaint to add to your letter to NBC: the swimming interviewer needs to be fired IMMEDIATELY. She irritates both Erik and me beyond belief, and we can no longer listen to her. Other than that, the Olympics are awesome. Go USA!