Thursday, August 28, 2008

Our official big girl

Jenelle is 100% binky free. This is a great surprise to us. Last Christmas when she lost her last binky, we thought it was time to give them up for good. After 3 nights of no sleep, we broke down and went and bought new ones. Sometime in the spring, when she had lost those, we told her all we had were yucky baby binkies that she didn't like, so it was those or nothing. She chose baby binkies. Granted they were only for sleep, but sleep didn't happen without them so we were worried.
After weeks of explanation, and having turned 3, we went to Toys R Us and allowed her to pick out a toy she wanted. We showed her all sorts of really cool or beautiful toys, but when she saw this rather ordinary looking, small and rather cheap doll that came in a backpack, she gasped, held out her arms and said, "This is what I want!" Really? Okay. We went to the check-out stand, she gave the lady the doll, pulled her money out of her purse and handed it over. Then the nice lady held up the trash can and one by one, Jenelle threw away every white baby binky we had. She did it so matter of factly that I almost cried. It was just so ... mature? Okay that might be too strong of a word, but so not babyish at least. On the way out she announced contentedly, "This is so much fun that I have no more binkies!" Never thought I'd hear her say that - although the fact that she'd just played with dozens of toys for an hour, picked and bought a new doll, rode the little flying contraption that cost a quarter, and got candy out of the little vending machine (even though mom thinks they're dirty) on her way out certainly helped.
But even after the fun was gone - success! She has slept fine during the nights and whenever she asks, I counter with, "but what did you do with your binkies?" and she responds "I threw them in the trash," and we move on. This is still rather shocking. There has only been one show of weakness - she cried for Cooper when she was supposed to be napping and when asked what was wrong, she replied, "Meri won't give me her binky!" Oh boy. Luckily, that too, was quickly explained and accepted. And luckily, Meredith is no push-over.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

After one child that loved his pacifiers (called "fie's" by the Morrill clan), we've actually had two that don't. Well, I convinced Ryan to take one for a little while when I weaned him at 15 months (to help him wean), but Katy has never, ever wanted one. When they were babies they both would gag and retch if you tried to put them in their mouths. And what a pain it was that I (my poor, cracked, tender boobies!) was the only way to fulfill that need to suck. I would much rather they had taken a pacifier, even if it meant having to give them up at some point.

I'm glad Jenelle is doing so well without them! I hope it keeps up!

Lyndsey said...

Yea congrats to the Mom who took care of the Binki so Mommy like. I mean if I had a textbook of how to get rid of a 3 year olds binki I think that would be just the way to do it. I bet the Lady at Toys-R-us out a kick out of it. Yea to never having to find it again and to sleepless nights when it is missing. We were pretty happy when we got rid of Tommys!

shaun said...

Things are going so well with the two you have maybe it's time to start thinking about having a little Cooper now...

Jen said...

Congratulations! We are all having this big moments where our babies are truly not babies anymore! It's exciting and sad at the same time. I guess that's what keeps us having more, right?

Raina said...

that is the greatest binky story ever! I can't really remember how or why we gave up our binky's but I kinda wish it was a fun story like that! Congrats.

Hannah said...

This is fabulous! Maybe she is "maturing"?? Maybe the key is that she did it herself??