Thursday, February 19, 2009

Blue eyes

With all the colds and need for sleep (not that we're totally out of the woods, Jell has two ear infections), I haven't been painting much recently but I did finally pick this one back up and finish it tonight. Do you like it?

I still can't decide if I should paint the blue background. It would help her, and her eyes for that matter, stand out more, but it would take away the hard pencil line that I kinda like. It also might add confusion as to where the warm reflected light is coming from (the walls - which are behind and to the side of the blue highchair back). For now I think I'll leave it and take it and the one with the two girls in the hammock tomorrow to a critique group where I'm the youngest and least experienced by probably 30 + years. They're all super nice and really know their stuff but it does make me feel a bit awkward - like being a freshman again, or like being back in my art classes surrounded by all these kids who had gone to private art schools their whole lives and talk a whole lingo that goes so far over my head that I need closed caption to have a chance of following what's going on. I interpret 2 year-old gibberish all day long these days; fancy vocab is a bit foreign. Here's hoping I learn something instead of just feeling like the slow kid who can't think of anything to say.

3 comments:

Anna-Kare said...

I hope you post something about what your expert friends suggest. I haven't got a lick of artistic talent but I find your explorations interesting. And I love the drawing, by the way!

Jen said...

That is very sweet. The whole feel of it is just capturing that baby stage that I want to hold onto forever. Nice job. I don't think you should worry for a minute about not knowing the lingo, you obviously have a gift and are so awesome to continue pursuing it!

Raina said...

GREAT! I would be FREAKED to go to a group where they critique you. Not because they will say mean things, but because I would be scared of the smarty pants being too big for me! Good luck! I think you did wonderful! I love the eyes!