Monday, February 02, 2009

Still looking for my style

So I haven't got to paint this last week until today when I did this quick (about an hour-long) watercolor sketch. It's really hard for me to stay loose but I really really want to. One suggestion on an artist's website was to not worry about making the painting look like the model, but just get the feeling and the idea expressed (Of course this wouldn't work if I were to ever get into commissions, but it might be a good idea for now). I just want the softness of these little faces to come across in the paintings. This one isn't perfectly Meri but I think I like it nonetheless.
This may only be interesting to me, but here I'll make links to some of the artists I've found recently that are my "people painting" inspiration:
Nancy Tipton
Janet Rogers
I think they're both amazing. This is another awesome artist I just discovered: Sterling Edwards. I haven't seen any portraits by him, but his paintings are fantastically loose and exciting. And this is also pretty cool by Tom Francesconi - although perhaps a tiny bit looser than I prefer. I know, I'm kinda reaching a little high here, they're all decorated artists in prestigious groups like the National Watercolor Society or American Watercolor Society or Transparent Watercolor Society or all three. But they're very inspiring. Anyway, gotta run - Jell's calling and if I don't answer she'll just keep getting louder until Meri is no longer sleeping. Which would be bad since the poor dear has a terrible croup cough that kept the whole poor family up all night.

1 comment:

Jen said...

You are awesome. I am seriously so impressed and ready for you to paint my kids whenever you want. I love that you are so intent on learning and becoming better. I really don't know how you have the energy to develop your talent with little ones at home, but I hope you never stop, you are inspiring!