Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Everybody loves to paint

The girls also really enjoy painting - and since I've stocked up on watercolor sets at garage sales for the last couple of years, we have plenty of fun. Today Jell actually painted people. This is her and Meri (Jell "has red hair and green eyes. Meri is blonde"):
That is daddy with some mighty fine hair on the left and mommy with a hair rainbow on the right:
And this is Nana sporting a purple hairdo, and Uncle Adam with a goatee down to his feet:
I love the creativity! So fun to cultivate in these little guys!
I was painting a bit today too, and have been working on this one:
I included the photos I was working from in the picture. I mostly like it but am not sure if it's done, or if I need to fix my eyes or add definition to Jell's shirt. What do you think? What does it still need? I'm trying hard to keep things loose and focus more on the emotion but it's hard to stop. I need someone to announce "and paintbrushes down please."
And this is one I did a couple of days ago:
I like the looseness in it and the tender moment - I just wish I hadn't let the watercolors get as muddy as I did. I'm not sure if it's done either although maybe it would be better to just start over and try again.
And this is one I did after the last but before the one of me. It didn't go so well and I got frustrated and gave up:
I really like the baby's face but again, I let it get too muddy on the mom, overworked the hair, couldn't figure out the teeth, got mad and gave up. Oh, and I was kind of scared to include those last two painting pictures because I really didn't do justice to the beautiful women I painted - please don't be offended - nor was I trying hard for exact replicas, but for the feeling. There's obviously still quite a few kinks to work out. Sigh.

But that's enough about me - here are a few photos of my cute kids:
And this is just sweet with the little matching piggies:

8 comments:

Jen said...

First of all, I am totally digging the one of me and Molly. I like myself better in watercolors! I totally think you nailed us both....the looseness is fun, it makes you FEEL something. You are awesome, seriously, I am impressed. I am dying that Janell can paint people. You seriously passed down the artsy genes. My poor kids...

Mandy said...

I think the one of Jen and Molly is perfect! I didn't even have to guess, it was so obvious to me that it was them!

cryssal said...

Wow! That is amazing, I am Jen's sis in law, I could totally tell it was JOTB and Molls. I have always been jealous of artistic tallent and you are definitely someone to be jealous of! Great job!

Janelle. said...

I love the painting of you and Jenelle. It is PRECIOUS! I think it looks great the way it is...but I know when it's your work you see every imperfection...it's hard to see what others are seeing. So from someone who knows nothing about painting...I think it looks awesome! If that means anything :)

Rachel said...

I actually really like those last two a lot! They don't look muddy to me, just like it's a different style. And I don't know if I'd say the same in person, but from little blog pictures I think I like them the best! I am so jealous of your amazing talent!

Mel said...

I could tell it was Jen, too! You really are doing awesome. I am sorry I don't have better or more expert advise to give, but keep on going! Your girls are adorable, too! I love them playing the piano.

Hannah said...

I love Jells people, and I love the shot of you with Jell too. My FAVORITE though is the next one where the mom is reading with her daughter. I love the colors in it. Beautifully done!

marzee said...

Oh Alisha -
you inspire me that you keep at it - despite your discouragement. I need some of that. You're doing great! Really - beautiful work!