Tuesday, September 06, 2005

My Version of a 3-Day Weekend

Friday Afternoon: Took Jella to her two-week doctor's appointment (actually, I don't remember what I did Friday, and I know that this happened last week, so I'm pretending that it happened on Friday). She is two inches longer, one pound and six ounces heavier (than her birth weight--she's a healthy eater), and her head was even bigger (which I didn't think would happen until she's at least two--it's a huge noggin!)!

Friday night: Watched "The Chosen" with JellaMama. JM had just read the book for a book club, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The movie, however, was lacking. We fell asleep. Which was good, because Baby J didn't let us sleep for most of the night.

Saturday Morning-Saturday Night: Slept late. Very late. It was needed. We slept so late that I don't remember what I did Saturday. I'll have to think harder.

Sunday Morning: JM went to a meeting, so I was left to care for the gorgeous but fussy Jell. The only time she stayed quiet for longer than 5 minutes throughout the morning was when I played guitar. That's pretty cool.

Sunday Afternoon: Took Jella to sacrament meeting for the first time. She was dang cute it an outfit that we just got at BabyGap the other day with the money we got from exchanging all of the boy clothes we bought pre-birth. I'm tellin' ya. Really cute. JM and I bore our testimonies, as is often the case with brand new parents. We never noticed how loud Baby J's hiccups were until we were in a silent chapel--we are dreading the day that she squirts in sacrament as explosively as she does at home. Well, JM's dreading it--I'm kind of looking forward to it. Hilarious.

Sunday Evening: Little Brother In-Law came over to do his laundry in his bi-monthly ritual. By "Little Brother," I mean he's 18. That title by no means refers to his size, which can only be classified as "wicked yuge."

Sunday Morning/Monday Night: At 3 a.m., JM and I were scanning the channels to give our minds something to zone out to as we took turns rocking JM to sleep. We happened upon a "24" marathon on A&E. Let me just say that neither of us had ever seen an episode of the show, and were skeptical about anything that is played regularly on Fox (see The O.C.). After one episode, however, we were addicted.

Monday: Between naps all day, we watched about twelve hours worth of a day in the life of Jack Bauer ("24"). I gotta tell you, that show absolutely kicks butt.

Umm... sorry. I was hoping that if I just started to write I might actually think of something funny or at least slightly clever to say about my weekend. I was wrong.

5 comments:

Cicada said...

I ordered 24 from Blockbuster online so that I could start to get into the series. Except it didn't come in time for the weekend. Why order movies online if they don't come in time for long weekends? Anyway. I have yet to get addicted.

My neighbor is pregnant and while I'm happy for her and her husband, I wonder what will happen when they have a new baby and I'm trying to sleep. As it is, I have to turn the fan on in my room to drown them out when they're talking in their bedroom. Do you have neighbors? How does a newborn affect them? Just curious.

daltongirl said...

re: Friday night: I watched The Chosen just out of high school in the theater. Wept copious tears all the way home. Also I fell (temporarily) in love with Robbie Benson, which I don't think I've ever admitted to anyone before. As you have pointed out more than once, I am now doing it on the Internet, for all to see. Maybe it was one of those movies that was better on the big screen. When you're dumb and really young.

re: Sunday afternoon: RHS used to do those 500 decibel squirts in church as a baby. I used to about fall out of my seat laughing. Unfortunately, no one around you ever hears your own child as well as you do, so they couldn't appreciate the hilarity of the situation. Sad for them.

re: Um . . .: I couldn't think of anything clever to say about my weekend either. I think the funniest and cleverest times are when nothing interesting is going on.

daltongirl said...

Oh, and I used to get all the RHS's clothes at Baby Gap. SO darling. Those were practically her first words. Then when people would ask her where she got her pretty red hair, she'd say, "Baby Gap!" Now I'm a little embarrassed about teaching her such materialism at an early age, but at least she never acted like savvymom's crazy kid, tossing the credit card around at Nordstrom.

Cooper said...

C: 1) Now that 24 has been delayed, I hope for your sanity's sake that it continues to be so. It will be difficult to get anything done once it arrives. We watched Season 3 this weekend. I wonder how the first two were. 2) We do have neighbors, and both have newborns. Our walls are apparently really thick though, as we never hear their babies, they never hear our piano/guitar, etc. However, the front wall (basically a door and a window) is paper thin, so you can hear everything that goes on just outside.

DG: 1) The story sounds amazing--I always get an extremely detailed play-by-play of whatever JM is reading as I am illiterate. The movie was just a bit shotty. Or perhaps I was just tired. 2) When I'm holding Sweet Baby J and she does one of those squirts and I can feel it against my chest or hand, it often startles me to the point of imitating her. I guess I'll get used to that, eh?

Cooper said...

SM: 1) I already feel pretty darn good about my own noise factory, thank you very much. 2) I haven't seen "House," but I've heard good things. Unfortunately, all of those good things have to do with the doctor and how hot he is (but isn't he... like... old?). So that deters me.