Friday, September 09, 2005

Song of the Day

Some of you may have heard of Colors before, and some of you may be a little reluctant to listen to an "LDS" band on any day but Sunday. But trust me here, Colors is better than that. I'm not just saying that because the principal singer, Brian (the guy in the middle), is my sister's husband's brother--OH yeah, I've got connections.

They are three guys from Kaysville, UT, who grew up together writing songs. Two of them play the guitar and sing lead (different song, different singer), and one plays the bongos and sings backup. Their music is vocally driven--the harmonies are really the focal point of their songs, but the acoustic guitars are played extremely well. And the lyrics are always heartfelt. I encourage all to buy their CDs online or from Deseret Book. (At least "Outside the Lines," "Falling In," and "Live"--"Standing on the Sun" is their first, when they were really young. Although there's about 2 really good songs, the quality of the recording just isn't worth it.) You won't be sorry--once these CDs get into the player, they rarely leave!

How's that for a plug?

The song I chose to feature of theirs (again, in the menu bar on the right of the blog) is called "The Reggae Song." It's my favorite of theirs because of its fun factor. Brian actually laughs at one point in the song--they left it in there because it fits the mood of the song so well. If you want to hear any more of their songs, let me know!

7 comments:

daltongirl said...

Wow. What a sales job! I will have to check them out. My kids love to have stuff to listen to on Sunday that makes them feel like they're breaking some kind of rule.

So this one time, I was waiting outside a conference room to take a bunch of IS editors into a meeting, and the other meeting was running late. When it finished, who should come out of an EFY meeting but my close personal friend, Peter Breinholt. So he stopped, we chatted for a minute (hadn't seen each other since college), and he went on. I turned around to find all the editors staring at me with something like hero worship on their faces. Once they respected me (and not for my editing abilities), THEN we could start getting things done.

Don't knock connections, man. They frequently come in very handy.

Nemesis said...

You could be my Wonder Woman and IIIIIIIIII will be your Superman!

Great song.

Cooper said...

I like your little picture, N.

I went to their "final" concert at UVSC a little while ago (they recorded their live album/dvd from this concert). When Brian sang that line, he ripped his shirt off to reveal a Superman shirt underneath it. It was great.

Cicada said...

I actually bought the Standing on the Sun (or whatever) album when it came out. I since have grown out of that type of music, but maybe they have, too. I wasn't able to listen to the file, though. It didn't work.

Th. said...

.

I'm trying to remember....

Oh yes. I was thinking it was Nemesis but actually it was Roommate S who went on a date with one of the Colors guys. I think Nemesis was in London at the time.

Anyway, speaking of fine LDS bands, I think Sunfall Festival's "Monday 23" is one of the very best albums ever recorded.

Cooper said...

Cicada: Sorry the file isn't working. The server where the song is located is down. I'll let you know when it's back up. And if you've outgrown that first album (most people over 15 have), their second album is much better. But it's still the same acoustic, lovy-dovy stuff. Their third album, "Outside the Lines," you really must check out. It's a big change from those first two. It is extremely well-produced. It's really a big departure. I highly recommend it.

Anonymous said...

I once went on a date with one of those Colors guys' brother...then I married him. hah! See, I told you I looked at this thing! Love ya Coop!