Friday, August 12, 2005

If you ever have a daughter that gets pre-maritally pregnant (knock on wood)...

While I was in the waiting room at Pregger's doctor today, an obviously young pregnant woman came to the desk with her mom. Her mom went to the other side of the desk to say "hi" to one of the nurses. Here's how the conversation went:

Mother: I just wanted to say "hi." You were here with me a long time ago when I was getting ready to deliver my baby.

Nurse: "Oh, how nice! Hi!"

Mother: "Now I'm here with my baby" [pointing at her pregnant daughter].

Nurse: "Wow, congratulations!"

Mother: "Yeah, well, sort of. She's only sixteen."

Nurse: [awkwardly] "Oh...."

Can I just make a request of whoever is reading this? If you ever have a daughter that gets knocked up, don't tell people! I wanted to smack this lady! Why in the name of bouncing babies would this woman need to include that little detail about her daughter? Her poor daughter is undoubtedly embarrassed enough about being sixteen and pregnant in Provo without her mother having to keep telling new people.

Pretty Pregger, always trying to save me from my judgmental self, said "at least she's here." Good point, PP.

3 comments:

Red said...

People suck man

Nemesis said...

Wow. You are totally right on the "let's not make it worse for ourselves and everyone around us" request. I guess it's good that her mom is taking her to doctor's appointments rather than throwing her out of the house, even if she does feel the need to announce "My daughter messed up!" to everyone.

Cicada said...

So a friend of mine was out of touch with a friend of hers for a while before she received her friend's wedding announcement. She was really excited to have received the announcement and ran out to get a card. She got this really cute card that said, "Now that you've set a date, people can stop asking you, 'So when are you going to get married.'"

Then you opened the card and it said, "So when are you going to have children?"

After my friend sent the card, she found out that it was a shotgun wedding.

So you're not here at work, Coop. Can I assume there's a baby?