Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Song/Story of the Day


Judging by the overwhelming response to my "Song of the Day" feature (a total of zero related comments), you, readers, want another! Hopefully this is one you've all heard, but we could all listen to it a few hundred more times. The new link to Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight" is in the sidebar.

"Wonderful Tonight" is perhaps the greatest song ever written. However, it has some personal significance to me as well--other than its achievement of true fame by appearing in Cooped Up--which I will now share. The reason for my telling of this story, you ask? Listening to this song reminded me of the experience, and it gives me something to blog about.

My high school (that year I was in Spokane) was holding its senior talent show. For the life of me I can't figure out why, but I decided to participate in it. So I wrote an arrangement (very different than the Song of the Day) of "Wonderful Tonight" for a piano and a guitar and enlisted the help of my friend (okay, she was my girlfriend--but we don't talk about past sins here) to play the piano. I sang and played the guitar, and had one of the greatest experiences of my life. We received a standing ovation from a pretty large group of folks, and won a hundred bucks. That was the first (and one of the last) times I ever played/sang in front of anyone.

For the sake of your sanity, that's the watered-down version. Just thought I'd explain why this song is so great to me and fulfill my blog quota in one swell foop! Sorry to share such a personal experience and not even attempt to be humorous. It shouldn't happen again... until the baby's born... then it'll probably happen a lot. But for this week, it shouldn't happen again... too often.

2 comments:

Red said...

I like the song-of-the-day option. I've included it on Red's Blog 'n Save! You had the idea, I supply the muscle. Isn't that how it always works? :)

ambrosia ananas said...

Still no baby, huh?

[cringes and ducks] Sorry. I bet you've heard that five million times. Don't throw things at me, please.