Friday, August 05, 2005

The Joys of Aging

I apologize for the random nature of this story. It happened last night, when I was at home with my wife. We sure thought it was pretty funny, but I hadn't thought about it since it happened. Until a coworker said something today that reminded me of it. In relating the story to him (typing on Instant Messenger, mind you) I couldn't even finish typing because I was laughing so hard. After nearly ruining my computer with insane amounts of peach juice earlier today I had another close call with my laughter-induced tears. I even caught the coworker sitting next to me shooting a sideways glance at me, probably wondering if I was crying.

WARNING: This will not be as funny to you as it is to me.

Earlier in the day, I made my way through our massive 850 square-foot apartment to the bedroom where I was going to change clothes. Because my sweet mother-in-law and my wife's little sister are here waiting for the baby to come, I threw the door shut on my way into the bedroom. My wife was sitting at the computer desk playing Minesweeper (and getting a new low time, I might add), and astutely observed that the door didn't shut--it's a light door that you have to push closed to actually shut. Anyway, upon making this observation, she quipped "turns out you actually have to shut the door to shut it" in an attempt at making fun of me for saying the same exact sentence earlier in the day when I failed to shut the door. I, however, didn't catch on that she was commenting on the door that was swinging back open. Instead, I thought she was saying something completely different. The conversation went as follows:

Me: "What about Baron Von Norbett?"

Pregger: "What? Who's Baron Von Norbett?"

Me: "How should I know? You're the one who's talking about him going into orbit."

Pregger: [blank stare]

Me: "Didn't you just say 'Baron Von Norbett is going into orbit'?"

Pregger: [blank stare turning slowly into a "you're a moron" look]

Me: "I'll go change in the bathroom."

Ah, the joys of aging. Imagine what I'll hear when I get past my 20s!

3 comments:

Cicada said...

Wow, Coop. There really are no words. Are you sure that you're not the pregnant one?

One time at work, someone asked if anyone was an Eve 6 fan. I thought she asked if anyone was a Styx fan. So I turned around in my chair and started singing really loudly, "Domoarigato, Mr. Roboto, Domoarigato, Mr. Roboto!" and doing crazy robot actions.

When I was done those two lines of the song, I stopped to find everyone in the cubicle staring blankly at me. Then another coworker said, "Eve 6, Cicada. Eve 6!"

The good thing was that then Mr. Roboto became our cubicle's theme song. In fact, I have the CD that I burned it to for cubicle unity all those years ago right here with me...

Cooper said...

Reminds me of my first week here. I wasn't yet familiar with the editor's lingo, and a former coworker (Gibber, we'll call her) said, "does anyone have Chicago?" Eager to be helpful as a new employee, I said, "I do!" and began to rummage through my backpack. I quickly shrugged off the confused stares from other coworkers as they saw me go through my backpack, wondering if I had brought my own Chicago Manual of Style from home. Instead, I pulled out Chicago's Greatest Hits out of my CD case.

Good thing 2 of the 3 editors that were in that room have left by now. I'd still feel insecure if they were here.

Cicada said...

BWA HAHAHAHAHA! Man I wish I could have been there for that one, Coop. I'm not sure whether I should be more concerned that you didn't know she was refering to Chicago CMS or that you actually had Chicago's Greatest Hits in your bag!